This website is devoted to terms and their definitions used in applied ontology. It is intended to provide guidance on the meanings and uses of terms, which may vary greatly due to the multi-disciplinary character of the field. The terms are listed in alphabetical order.
Please be aware that the development of the term list is an ongoing and continuing project. As of June 2017, the term list is in an initial, preliminary stage, where first terms and, for some of them, first definitions have been gathered. A page about the term list provides more detail on the status of the list and the process behind it.
We welcome contributions in any form. Please submit proposals of content to be included (terms, definitions, references) as well as any comments or criticism to
email@example.com, the mailing list of the IAOA Education Committee. Better yet join the committee! ;-)
Terms for Central General Notions
- Continuant Synonym: Endurant
- Controlled Vocabulary
- Endurant Synonym: Continuant
- Individual Synonyms: Particular, Instance
- Instance Synonyms: Particular, Individual
- Occurrent Synonym: Perdurant
- Task Ontology
- Application Ontology
- Domain Ontology
- Reference Ontology
- Generic Ontology?
- Foundational Ontology Synonyms – Upper-level ontology, Top-level ontology
- Upper-level Ontology Synonyms – Foundational ontology, Top-level ontology
- Top-level Ontology Synonyms - Foundational ontology, Upper-level ontology
- Open-world Assumption
- Particular Synonyms: Individual, Instance
- Perdurant Synonyms: Occurrent
- Semantic Interoperability
- Spatial region
- Spatiotemporal region
- Temporal region
Terms for Peripheral General Notions
- Fiat Object Part
- Model Theory?
- Object Aggregate?
Terms Naming Particular Entities
- Basic Formal Ontology - BFO
- CYC ontology
- Descriptive Ontology for Linguistic and Cognitive. Engineering - DOLCE
- General Formal Ontology - GFO
- Unified Foundational Ontology - UFO
- Yet Another More Advanced Top-level Ontology - YAMATO
Particular ontology languages